If you have wondered about what is the best nutrition program for you and searched online for it, chances that you have come out being overwhelmed by the choices thrown at you. If you want to enhance your knowledge about nutrition and food and general health, there are several courses to pick from.
This is why we have created this guide to the best online courses for nutrition that have a focus on health and nutrition. There are a lot of topics to choose from, ranging from macronutrients, child obesity, weight management, supplements and vitamins, food safety, hormonal nutrition, nutrition counseling, global nutrition and so much more.
When you are a nutrition student, you are probably aware of the study costs, and it is one of the reasons a lot of people often drop out of these courses. And that is why online courses are cheaper than any other educational path you will take. It doesn’t matter what profession you are in, a certified course in nutrition can open up new avenues that will allow you to become a recipe developer, chef, clinical trial researcher or a teacher. You can also take up a profession as a chiropractor, a physician or a personal trainer.
So let us dive deeper into this article about the best online courses for nutrition and find out what path you wish to take.
Top 6 Best Online Nutrition Courses
These are the best online courses for nutrition, all thoroughly reviewed to ensure that you find the perfect one for you.
Stanford Introduction to Food and Health – Stanford Univeristy
Offered by Stanford University, the course is taught by MD Maya Adam, who is a lecturer at the Stanford School of Medicine. This 100% online course is 5 weeks long, with the requirement of 1 hour of effort per week.
The course will teach students what foods are good for their health and which are not. This course will talk about practical applications and real-world situations, rather than nitpicking about nutrients.
You will learn the following:
- Nutrients in food and their functions in the human body
- Implications of food processing on health and how to start eating better
- Making better food choices and preparing foods that support our health
- Tips for building a balanced meal and moderation
- A workshop on cooking healthy food
The course has flexible deadlines which can be set according to your schedule. Click here to find out more about this course.
Nutrition and Lifestyle in Pregnancy – LM University
This short, 1-week course teaches you how a healthy lifestyle and diet affects pregnancy is important for the development growth of the unborn child. This is an intermediate-level course with flexible deadlines. It also touches upon the most common pregnancy complications that are nutrition related such as gestational diabetes and obesity.
The course uses real-world questions from pregnant women to help you get a better idea of nutritional counseling.
The course covers:
- The importance of a healthy BMI and folate status on an unborn child.
- What foods and lifestyle to avoid during pregnancy and nutrition-related recommendations.
- Managing and consulting pregnant women, recommendations, risk factors and outcomes.
- Real-life clinical scenarios and practical advice for a healthy pregnancy
This course is available in English and subtitles are available in Vietnamese, Portuguese and Arabic.
Want to know more about this course? Click here.
Child Nutrition and Cooking – Stanford University
Offered by Stanford University, this 9-hour course guides you towards becoming a better health provider, parent or teacher. This course will focus on the benefits of simple home-cooked healthy meals and how they contribute towards an adult or a child’s healthy life.
This course is taught by MD Maya Adam, a lecturer at the Stanford School of Medicine and covers nutrition, food safety, food science and organic food. It will cover the following:
- The importance of home-cooked meals and childhood obesity
- What makes up a balanced meal and controlling portion sizes
- Shopping for vegetables and foods and packing a healthy lunch for a child
- The difference between sustainable, organic and local food and making better choices
- Elements of taste, reading nutritional plans and understanding what constitutes taste
Read more about this exciting course here.
Nutrition, Food and Health – Wageningen University
Offered by Wageningen University and Research, this 7-8 week course is available at the reduced price of $178.20 if you enroll now and offers Specialization in proper food and nutrition and is beneficial nutritionists, registered nurses and many other opportunities in the food industry. The course is taught by Sander Kersten who is a leading nutrition expert and gives you a thorough understanding of the regulation of body weight and energy homeostasis.
You will learn:
- The impact of nutrition on health
- Composition and chemistry of food and its impact on health
- Designing dietary strategies and nutritional strategies
- Interpreting information on health and nutrition
This course is entirely in English and is essential for those already in the profession for updates on food and nutrition and helps you sift through misconceptions about nutrition and food and health and help you develop a critical mindset about the same.
You can learn about more aspects of the course here.
CARE: Nutrition in Ageing – Imperial College London
This course is offered by the Imperial College London and teaches you about nutritional requirements for older people and the importance of nutrition in your golden years and the social settings that impact it. This 4-week course is great for those in the healthcare profession field such as caregivers so that they will be able to provide the best care possible.
You will learn how to:
- Creating balanced meal plans
- Providing social support to older people
- Healthy ageing and nutrition
- Utilize various tips and tools
You can get a verified certificate for $49 for this course and it is entirely in English.
Learn more about this course here.
Nutrition and Disease – Wageningen University
This 5-week series of courses are offered by Wageningen University & Research and as the name suggests, focuses on the need for healthy nutrition. If you are considering research in the field, this is the course to be in. This course is also useful for those who are in the field of cancer research, food scientists, nutritionists, health promoters and medical students.
- Taking a close look at disease and nutrition
- Scrutinizing information and myths
- How to live a healthy lifestyle based on scientific evidence
- How diet plays a role in the prevention of cancer and other diseases
This course has a bevy of instructors that are leading experts in the field. You can enroll for the course for $178.20 ($198 before) and has been hailed by the World Cancer Research Fund International as vital for anyone working in the field for cancer and nutrition.
You can learn all about this course here.
This article covered some of the best online courses for nutrition and provides you with the knowledge essential for a nutritional specialist. After these courses, you will be able to impart advice to clients who are health conscious and be an unbiased nutritional specialist who can help people maintain a healthy lifestyle and make them feel better.
If you want to discover more learning opportunities, then be sure to take a look at our list of the best online courses. Thanks for reading and as always, have a great day!